New vet in town Dra. Fatima Valdes

Bonnie

I just returned from a visit with the new vet in town, Dra. Fatima Valdes. Her clinic is located in La Tienda de Mascotas (also called Charlie's Pet Fashions) in the Don Vidal Building, lower level, near the medical lab and Viajes David (Anavilma). I note  here that the building tenants have employed a parking attendant out front who assures that everyone using the spaces has business within the building, so parking was no problem.

I found Dra. Fatima to be knowledgeable and personable. She has been here only three months, after completing her veterinary degree in Brazil. She has some equipment and uses Immunotec, almost next door, for lab work.

My Golden, Finnegan, has had ongoing problems with skin fungus. I was just about ready to give up after having tried several vets and a multitude of medications, but I decided to give Fatima a try on the recommendation of a friend. She ruled out hyperthyroidism just by looking at Finny's coat and explained why. She then examined him carefully, commenting the whole time. Finally, she took skin scrapings from various parts of his body, examined them under a microscope, studied them for quite a while, and advised me that he has both fungal and bacterial issues, with a little impetigo thrown in. She explained why the medicated shampoo and medications I had been using probably weren't working, and the explanation made sense. She prescribed a food supplement for his raw diet (which contains no grains or carbohydrates) and a different, stronger shampoo, both of which were available in the shop, and is ordering a special medication in pill form from Panama City. She spent a lot of time with me and with Finny.

An office visit costs $15, the same as Dra. Chely. I was more than pleased with her service and will be returning.

Dra. Fatima can be reached at 6672-1172. You needn't have an appointment, but it's probably smart just to make sure she's there and isn't too busy.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

I failed to mention that the name Charlie's Pet Fashions belies everything the store has to offer. In addition to premium dog food, the shop carries dog meds, shampoos, crates, and any number of other things. I suggest you drop in and take a look. It's a good alternative to add to Melo and Mascotas y Jardines, which often are out of things.

• Moderators - Pet Care

Hi Bonnie,

Thank you.

We have been in there and were very impressed. Although, their dog bathing/grooming prices are higher then Robertos at The Dog Spot. We have a cocker spaniel and golden retriever and were quoted prices 30% more.

We do have Charlies for dog supplies listed on the CL Animal Resource List as well as Melo and Mascotas.

Based on your recommendation we will visit Dra. Fatima.

Yes, the grooming prices are high, and that's why I didn't mention grooming. The principal point of my post was Dra. Fatima, whose prices are the same as those of Dra. Chely.

I didn't compare the prices of medications with those at Melo and Mascotas, but I've found that when you need a particular medicine you're willing to pay whatever wherever you can get it. Time after time Melo and Mascotas have not had the very medicine I need immediately, so I'm pleased that there's another alternative. Too, it was nice to be able to obtain most of what I needed right there without having to go elsewhere.

I don't dress my dogs, so I didn't even look at the clothes.

Edited by Bonnie

• 5 months later...

I visited there, and while I love the store and supplies, the clerk told me the vet was no longer there.  There was a language barrier, but I think she meant that on a permanent basis.  I hope I'm wrong about that.

Without the Vet there, I did call Dr. Janzel Gonzalez, who is listed in Maggie's List here. He does house calls, speaks excellent English and treated my two sick cats at my home.  I am very satisfied with him.

Dra. Fatima is no longer associated with Charlie’s Pets.

i can’t think of anything in my 12 years here that has delighted me more than the appearance of Dr. Janzel Gonzalez. Everyone knows that pets are inclined to become sick or injured at night and on the weekend, so the emergence of an emergency vet is a godsend.

On 8/22/2018 at 11:31 AM, Bonnie said:

...fungal and bacterial issues,

Bonnie and all...I've found an excellent spray for fungal infections is a mixture of equal portions of raw apple cider vinegar, water, and witch hazel, plus a few drops of tea tree oil. If the infection is mostly in one place, I usually shave the area and use the spray often. If it's all over the body,  sulfur shampoo (and/or a borax-hydrogen peroxide wash) plus ketoconazol tablets.

Let me know if anyone wants the borax-hydrogen peroxide "recipe."

3 hours ago, Dottie Atwater said:

Bonnie and all...I've found an excellent spray for fungal infections is a mixture of equal portions of raw apple cider vinegar, water, and witch hazel, plus a few drops of tea tree oil. If the infection is mostly in one place, I usually shave the area and use the spray often. If it's all over the body,  sulfur shampoo (and/or a borax-hydrogen peroxide wash) plus ketoconazol tablets.

Let me know if anyone wants the borax-hydrogen peroxide "recipe."

Thanks, Dottie. My dog with intractable fungus was put down with a tumor on the spleen a couple of weeks ago. But I know other folks who could benefit from your "recipe," so, yes, please publish it here.

I used most of what you name, to only intermittent avail. The problem with Ketoconazol is that it is very hard on the liver and really can't be taken long enough to work, I found. Plus, it requires a hepatic cleansing afterward because of this side effect.

Keeping the feet clean and dry is key.  Tea Tree tincture diluted in the water.  Not much.....Tea Tree oil can be toxic. The soil here has a lot of fungus in it. We seemed to have cut down to nearly zero our dog's infection with Giardia  by washing her feet and drying them after walking her.  I know it seems anal but she is an inside the house dog and feet licking and leg grooming is one of her things she does.  If the fur of the  feet and legs are clean and dry she has a reduced chance of getting infected. Seems to be working. 

Edited by Brundageba

Update:   I use tea tree oil I put in a 2 oz bottle with a dropper...maybe 1/4 bottle oil ( or less)  and fill with water.   OK so I shake that and add one dropper of that to one bucket of water I use to wash the dog .  ( actually I use 3 buckets of water ...one with soap, 2 for rinse )  I add one dropper of this diluted tea tree solution into each bucket.   It's very diluted !   ok after  I finish washing the dog and rinsing... my hands and arms slightly tingle.  It's the tea tree oil.  I've been washing the dog like this for well over a year.  

Edited by Brundageba

This is a treatment for demodectic mange, but it helps with fungus as well. 

http://www.earthclinic.com/Pets/dog_mange_cure.html#TED

Ted from Bangkok, Thailand writes, "The best cure for dog mange is to mix a 1% hydrogen peroxide solution with water and add borax. Dissolve thoroughly. Wash the dog with it once a week. Do NOT WASH THE solution left on the dog with ANY WATER. Do not wipe the dog dry. The solution will take effect on mange. The treatment period should not be longer than a month or two. The dog will probably not be resistant as the treatment is painless. This has worked well for me."

Ted replies, "A definitive recipe is add 1-2 tablespoon of borax per 500 cc (2.9 cups = 500 cc) of 1% hydrogen peroxide solution. To make a 3% hydrogen peroxide to 1%, roughly get one part of 3% H2O2 plus two parts of water. Then apply them on the dog. Wash with this solution daily, no rinsing. If it doesn't go away, I have found mites, or mange to have a large "beehive" hidden somewhere. In which case, quarantine the dog in a small area that is 100% sterile."

(I use 2 cups water, 1 cup hydrogen peroxide, 2 tablespoons borax. Wash with this solution daily.)

For severe all-over-the- dog mange, I've used the above in conjunction with sulfur baths and also the spray I mentioned. (I haven't seen sulfur shampoo here, so I buy sulfur, put it in a cup, and add Dawn dish washing liquid and a little water. The sulfur doesn't dissolve, so stir it with a spoon from the bottom of the cup  in order to get some on the dog.  Rub in well and leave on for 10 minutes, then rinse well. DO NOT GET IN THE EYES. Dry with a towel and then use the borax/hydrogen peroxide solution. (I used to finish up with an amitraz solution dip, but now I prefer to use non-toxic remedies.)

PS- Bonnie: I know the Ketoconazol can cause side effects, but sometimes it's necessary to use it. In fact, I don't think there's a single pharmaceutical drug for humans OR animals that isn't toxic in some way.

Marcelyn: I'm glad the vinegar-and-water foot soak works well for you. An Epsom salt solution works,  too. (I buy borax and Epsom salts in 50-lb bags from Ibis in David so I have plenty on hand to use myself and to give away to people who need it.)

Anything we can use that isn't toxic is the best solution!

Dottie

• Moderators
1 hour ago, JohnF13 said:

So, to get back on topic, is this vet available and if so, where is she working out of?

Quoting here from recent private communications going on in the background, which is why you no longer see her name listed on Maggie's List:

Dra. Fatima Valdez, formerly associated with Charley's Pet Fashions, is no longer in Boquete. She can be removed from the list of vets.

5 hours ago, JohnF13 said:

So, to get back on topic, is this vet available and if so, where is she working out of?

Dr. Valdez is practicing in David now, I believe. But there's a new vet in Boquete, listed in Maggie's List, who responds to emergencies ad makes house calls. Dr. Janzel Gonzalez saved my life the weekend of the 12th when he came to my house within 25 minutes of calling him to examine my dog in distress. He discovered a mass in the area of the spleen, we went to his office for an ultrasound, saw an inoperable tumor, and put him down. It was, of course, a sad occasion, but I was so grateful to have found a vet who is responsive on the weekend. It would have been awful to have had to watch my dog suffer Saturday through Sunday night. Dr. Janzel prefers contact by WhatsApp Chat and responds right away, I have found. The number is 507-6593-1867.

• Thanks 1