How do I create my own [photo] Gallery?

Franagain

Question

7 answers to this question

• Administrators

Fran, I think what you created is an album within the one gallery that comes pre-configured. That pre-configured gallery is called "Member Albums"

Recall that a gallery is at the highest level, and then albums go within a gallery. Photos go within an album.

Only administrators can create a gallery (that is not re-configurable as best I can tell). Members can create up to five albums (as currently configured).

I have absolutely no problem with creating a gallery for you (or others). If you want a dedicated gallery, please just say so, and provide me with the name of the gallery as you wish it to be. Then you can create albums to your hearts content (up to five) within that gallery.

If you have recommendations about changing the album limit, please send an email to support@chiriqui.life with your thoughts. You know you will get my full attention.

Hope this helps. We are both learning as we go. Thanks for that.

• Administrators

Franagin,

I am a bit shaky on this but here goes. I believe this is how things work.

Galleries are at the top of the hierarchy, followed by albums, and then the photos. When you first click on the gallery tab, you see the boxes (in our current situation there is only one gallery and it is called "Member Albums". And then the application display some of the latest images from that album.

If you wish to create a new album, then start with the process of uploading a new image. Along the way you will be given an option to establish a new album, which you can then name, and optionally provide some control over. I have things configured right now (hopefully I am speaking truth, but I am a bit inexperienced with the gallery right now), you can even create a private album (only you can see), or a limited distribution album, in which you would designate which user(s) (using their Display Name) you will allow to see your images.

Give this a try. I know you are good at computer skills, and tell me if you are successful. I was, but then I have extra privileges from a regular member.

It is my understanding that there are an unlimited number of galleries available, but only administrators can create the highest level (i.e., gallery). Regular members can (if configured to do so, and I believe that is our case unless I made a mistake) create as many albums within the available galleries.

I have objection to creating another gallery if someone were to ask for one. That is what CL is supposed to be about.

Please give it a go, and let me know how things work out and if you need some configuration changes.

P.S., I am NOT flagging this post as the final and correct answer. We need time to prove things work as they should.

Edited by Admin_01

I did create a new Gallery and uploaded a photo to it.  Thank you for the instructions!

I assume that anyone can upload to my or any other Gallery.  It would seem to me to be logical if, as the creator of a Gallery, I would be the one to determine whether or not others could upload to it.  I don't think I saw that option.

• Administrators

Somehow I created my own gallery but have yet to discover how to put a photo in it since the first one.   I keep getting MEMBER GALLERY.  How to I add photos to my own gallery?

I need to get technical for a moment. What you created is an "album" within an existing community level gallery. On this website, the gallery is at the highest level in the photo repository business. Members cannot create a gallery themselves, but only need to ask to get a dedicated gallery. Franagain is the only member who has done that so far. Albums are the second tier storage level. For most members an album is all that is needed. But if you wish to have a dedicated gallery, just ask.

I see your album and it has one image in it. To add more images, just click on the "Add images" button in the upper right of your album.

If you have more questions, we are here to help.