Rodny Direct Member Update - Walk-in Robber in Boquete

NewsLady

RD-Site-Logo-Helpline.gif

Member Update

Aug 2, 2018

To: News Boquete,

We are sending this alert to everyone since this type of robbery can happen anywhere

In the last week, we have received several reports of robberies or attempted robberies in Boquete by a man who enters homes asking to use the bathroom. He then attempts to rob the residents.

In some reported cases, he has attempted to push in the screen on an open door. 

If he encounters a man he asks for gardening work. If he finds a woman, he asks is her husband is home. If not, he claims to be an old friend and then asks to use the bathroom. It seems that he stays in the bathroom until the resident is not paying attention, then steals what he can find without being observed. 

Bonnie Williams, one of his victims has filed a denuncia, so the police are now able to arrest him if he is found. 

He is a large man and does not appear to be armed. A picture of him has been posted on Boquete Facebook news, but the law make it impossible to forward the picture myself. 

It appears that he is hitting one house almost every day. 

WHAT TO DO:

LOCK YOUR DOORS. NEVER OPEN THE DOOR TO A STRANGER ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE A WOMAN ALONE.

NEVER LET ANYONE INTO YOUR HOUSE ON THE PRETEXT OF USING THE BATHROOM OR WANTING A DRINK OF WATER. This is the oldest trick in the book for robbing expats.

Pick up your phone and take (or pretend to be taking) a picture of him. One potential victim chased him away by doing this. 

Immediately call me, Rodny, if you encounter this person. With a speedy report of his location there is a good chance the police can catch him. 

With your help, we can catch this robber and get him out of our community.

Thanks from the Rodny Team 

www.RodnyDirect.com

6446-8850

Any questions? info@rodnydirect.com

It's true that not everyone uses Facebook. But everyone I know or know of is subscribed to News Boquete. Rodny's announcement went to News Boquete, which published it here. Perhaps Rodny knows that NB also publishes here and chose not to publish it twice on CL.

• Confused 1

Last Wednesday (August 1st), a man approached a neighbor’s house here in El Santuario asking if her husband was home and wanting to use her bathroom. She refused to open the yard gate so the man finally walked away from her property.

Fortunately her gardener had left and closed the gate just three minutes before the stranger appeared.

She described the wanta-be intruder as early middle age and plump. Same m.o. as other reported incidents.

We attended a large gathering of both gringos and Panamanians yesterday. Talked with one gringo couple who had no knowledge of the robberies occurring in the area. These people have lived in Boquete full time for seven years. Keep to themselves because “too much gossip” was their explanation. Seemed like nice people.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2018 at 11:57 AM, Marcelyn said:

Last Wednesday (August 1st), a man approached a neighbor’s house here in El Santuario asking if her husband was home and wanting to use her bathroom. She refused to open the yard gate so the man finally walked away from her property.

Fortunately her gardener had left and closed the gate just three minutes before the stranger appeared.

She described the wanta-be intruder as early middle age and plump. Same m.o. as other reported incidents.

This guy may still be around. My housesitters reported to me that a guy matching this description was sitting on my front porch chair at 8pm. The porch is way inside my gates and far from the street. From what I gather this ladrone has zero respect for bounderies and doesn't show much fear of dogs either. They didn't confront him as they were scared. Linces were informed.

I’m also beginning to wonder if this is a guy who is unwell. Steals money/valuables and is non-threatening; uses the same m.o. to gain entrance to someone’s property, and walks around different areas of town.

Must not have a job or be accountable to anyone,  IMO.

53 minutes ago, Marcelyn said:

I’m also beginning to wonder if this is a guy who is unwell. Steals money/valuables and is non-threatening; uses the same m.o. to gain entrance to someone’s property, and walks around different areas of town.

The guy who robbed me showed no signs of mental incapacity. He was very smooth and very clever.  I agree with Macelyn that he doesn't have employment; his job is roving around town stealing from others. And he's good at it. I agree with Pantah that he has zero respect for boundaries. It really shouldn't be hard to catch this guy. He's shown up at a LOT of places, and a lot of people can identify him.

People experiencing a visit from him need to call Rodny straightaway. He can talk to the police, and perhaps they'll arrive before the maleante has made a getaway.

12 hours ago, Marcelyn said:

His behavior is definitely not normal, in my case to go so far as to walk 20 meters uphill past a gate to sit on a chair that he could not see from the road. My house sitters (both local females) were so stressed that only one of them dared look at him from behind a barred window. This guy is wreaking substantial emotion damage just by his very inappropriate (and criminal) behavior. He needs to be caught!

• Thanks 1

He needs to be caught!

..and then what?   beat him?  lynch him?   turn him over to the Police for an hour before they let him go?

..or are you going to go through the hoops at the Personeria to charge him with trespassing?

Except in Bonnie's case, there's no valid description, or photo, of anyone, just  'sounds like the same guy'

Edited by Keith Woolford
  • Downvote 1

21 minutes ago, BlueBird said:

Whoa!  Wait a minute. You sound like you believe it is OK to have this guy stealing and trespassing here in Boquete. Did I misunderstand your post?

Yes, you probably did misunderstand.  I'm not in favor of either.

I just want to know what the other poster proposes to do with a guy who may have sat on his porch if he finds him.

Bonnie Williams and her housekeeper are the only people who have actually seen a trespassing thief, other reports are second or third hand, and vague.

Edited by Keith Woolford

3 hours ago, Keith Woolford said:

Yes, you probably did misunderstand.  I'm not in favor of either.

I just want to know what the other poster proposes to do with a guy who may have sat on his porch if he finds him.

Bonnie Williams and her housekeeper are the only people who have actually seen a trespassing thief, other reports are second or third hand, and vague.

Keith (and others) .... I am curious --- what would YOU do if you wondered upon this person sitting on your porch?  Call Rodny? The Policia??   Maybe defend your family and your property first; detain (restrain) him; then call???   

I would like to know what OUR rights are if we happen upon this guy on on property --- what are we allowed to do, if anything??

Thanks,

Brian

• Like 1

My first thought would be to greet the person and ask him his purpose for being there. Whether that would be from inside or outside the house would likely depend on the time of day.

Depending on the severity of my suspicions I would inform the  Vecinos Vigilantes group in our neighbourhood and Rodny.

15 minutes ago, Whskyman said:

Keith (and others) .... I am curious --- what would YOU do if you wondered upon this person sitting on your porch?  Call Rodny? The Policia??   Maybe defend your family and your property first; detain (restrain) him; then call???   

I would like to know what OUR rights are if we happen upon this guy on on property --- what are we allowed to do, if anything??

Thanks,

Brian

My female housesitters called the linces. I have seen the guy Bonnie saw (about 8 months ago), as have some people in Volcancito. This guys MO is the same, as the Bonnie's perp. If you have a posted sign i believe you have more legal rights, as this person is violating your "curtilege", don't know what that is in Spanish. One of the housesitters was outside and saw him coming up the entrada, in the dark,  so she hurried inside and locked the door. I am going to hazard a guess that most women are going to react differently than men to potential threats, and are more likely to not engage in conversation. I of course can't do anything as I am out of the country (hence the housesitters).

Good to know what you would do. As a female I would not “greet the person and ask him his purpose for being there”.  Someone needs to be invited to be on my property;  or there is a problem.

This guy may be non-threatening, perhaps not well, maybe doesn’t understand right from wrong, or a robber by choice, but his behavior is strange and unacceptable.

Reports may be vague, but I believe they are real.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Keith Woolford said:

My first thought would be to greet the person and ask him his purpose for being there. Whether that would be from inside or outside the house would likely depend on the time of day.

C'mon, Keith! "Greet the person," and then ask the one who was sitting in a chair on MY property, inside MY GATE,  what was his purpose in being there? No matter the time of day or night. Get real!

Fortunately, I have someone other than myself at my house at all times, and they know never to permit an unauthorized person inside. But in the event they had to run an errand, etc., and I found such a person ON MY PROPERTY WITHOUT MY PERMISSION,  the first thing I'd do is to release my 16 dogs into the area and command them to attack! Then if that person had been unable to climb my block wall  and escape in time. if there was anything left of that person, I might call the (useless) police and an ambulance. 

Geeze..."greet the intruder and ask him why he is uninvited to trespass on my property?" Get real! I respect most of your replies, Keith, but this last one sucks.

Edited by Dottie Atwater
correction
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2